Challenge Fund - World of Work
The funding programme Challenge Fund - World of Work aims to support UK-German school partnerships undertaking work experience or enterprise-related project activities.
Please note that work experience activities must be firmly embedded within a wider and thematic group project. Funding is not available for individual work experience placements where there is no bilateral project or group work.
Applications are currently closed and our grant offer is under review.
If you have a project coming up soon, which you request funding for, please get in touch. We will look at applications outside of the usual deadline, while we review our grant offer.
For general reference, a summary of our main criteria and procedures is listed below. Please call us if you have any questions or would like to discuss your ideas.
What criteria does your project have to meet?
- The work experience activities (if applicable) take place within the context of a UK-German school partnership where at least ten pupils from both schools are participating in trips to the other country involving both work experience activities and group project work.
- The work experience (if applicable) is firmly embedded within a wider group project which involves real collaboration and joint working between the UK and German pupils before, during and after the visits.
- The work experience activities (if applicable) are used by pupils to gather insight, experience and material to share and contribute towards their joint project e.g. through reflective journals, interviews or surveys with their co-workers. Suitable themes for joint project work could be topics such as international business, cross-cultural skills, education and culture or entrepreneurship and many more.
- The two visits and group project work should lead to a final concrete outcome created and decided upon by the group, such as a joint magazine, blog, materials or creative video.
- Work experience trips should take place in both directions within an 8-12 month period. Pupils should work together on their joint project before, during, and after work experience visits.
- The work experience should be at least 2-3 days in duration on each visit. The group project work during each trip should also comprise of at least 2 days of interactive activity on each trip. This can be split into morning and afternoon sessions, if easier.
- A language-learning element is welcomed but not compulsory.
- Funding is not available for individual work experience placements where there is no bilateral or group work
A full list of criteria will be available in the guidelines when applications open again.
How much funding can you get and what can it be used for?
- The maximum grant available is £5,000 and is to be shared between the participating schools.
- Grants provided through the World of Work grant can support costs such as travel and accommodation for reciprocal partner visits, project resources and joint activities and will be a contribution to the overall costs.
- Applicants must contribute at least 25% of the overall eligible activity costs through participants’ contributions and other sources of funding.
When should you apply for the grant?
- There are three deadlines each year: 31 January, 31 May, and 31 October. See the box at the top of this page for the next deadline.
- Proposed project activities cannot start until at least six weeks after the funding deadline to allow the required administrative and processing time. For example, an application for a project starting in February would need to be submitted for the previous October deadline.
How can you apply for the grant?
Guidelines and application forms will be available on this web page when applications open again. Please ensure that you submit your application using the latest forms.
Please note that Challenge Fund - World of Work applications can only be submitted by one participating institution on behalf of the whole project. This can be either the German or British institution. The corresponding information for your German partners is available under Challenge Fund - World of Work on the German section of our website.
If you have any questions about the programme or would like to discuss your plans, please contact us at email@example.com.