Youth initiatives & pupil and school programmes
The post holder(s) will coordinate UK-German Connection’s programmes and youth initiatives in the school and youth (informal education) sectors, including courses, trips & seminars and young ambassador networks.
Responsibilities will include
coordinating the participation and engagement of young people from both countries in a range of bilateral programmes, projects or events (some activities are also targeted at teachers and/or youth workers)
providing information and advice to potential candidates and other enquirers, and liaising with project participants, their schools or youth groups, partner organisations and other relevant contacts
coordinating and taking part in assessment and selection
project-managing events and seminars (including 2-3 day residential events) as well as general programme administration, support and logistics
contributing to project-related outreach and publicity activities, including assessing and preparing projects for online publicity (“storytelling”)
evaluating projects, reviewing programmes and procedures and contributing to general reports
contributing to the strategic and conceptual development of youth initiatives as well as UK-German Connection’s wider offer and programme activity.
Skills & competencies
We are particularly looking for highly-committed and flexible candidates with initiative, drive and relevant experience, who have a strong interest in working with young people and managing and designing bilateral school and youth projects.
In their application, candidates should show evidence of the following:
- essential: excellent project management and organisational skills, including the ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- essential: excellent communication skills (oral and written), interpersonal and social skills
- essential: excellent data management skills and high levels of attention to detail and accuracy
- essential: very good ICT skills, including MS Office
- essential: leadership skills and aptitude to coordinate, lead and guide groups of young people, including an awareness of Health & Safety and safeguarding requirements
- essential: ability to work both independently and cooperatively as a team member
- essential: aptitude and willingness to learn and acquire new skills and an active interest in development and innovation
- essential: English to native standard and a very good basis in German (as a minimum).
- desirable: a high level of bi-cultural awareness about the UK and Germany and intercultural competence
- desirable: some knowledge of, and interest in, international projects for young people (school and youth)
- desirable: some prior knowledge of a content-management system for updating a website
- desirable: willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends (to support youth events)
The posts are designed as full-time posts, however, part-time arrangements are also possible. The appointments will initially be on the basis of one-year freelance contracts with the possibility of extension.
Remuneration will depend on skills and experience and will be based on public-sector pay scales. Starting fees will be from £29,000 p.a., pro rata.