Tips: Registering in Germany

Due to the remit of UK-German Connection, we are unable to offer direct assistance and advice on registering in Germany. However, we have put together a number of links to external organisations which might be able to help.

In a nutshell

As a citizen of the EU, you are entitled to remain in Germany for up to three months. Remember, you do need a valid passport though! If you choose to stay for longer than this, you will have to register at the Einwohnermeldeamt. This sounds more complicated than it actually is, and really just involves filling out some forms. This is to confirm your address whilst you are resident in Germany. Make sure you have an EHIC card before leaving Britain. This entitles you to free or low-cost medical treatment whilst you are in Germany. You should also consider getting private medical or travel insurance for things which are not covered by the EHIC card.


Emily Sheen spent some time working for a big hydraulic engineering company in Germany.