Host a Teacher from Germany
Would you like to have authentic German cultural input in your school? Through the Host a Teacher from Germany programme, your school can host a German teacher for two or three weeks during the academic year, at no cost.
Further opportunities for spring and summer term 2017 only
Schools now have an additional opportunity to host a teacher from Germany for two or three weeks during the second half of the 2016-17 school year.
Deadline: 12 December 2016
All schools and FE colleges from the whole of the UK can take part. The UK coordinating teacher does not need to be a teacher of German, and German does not need to be on the school’s curriculum; visiting teachers are either teachers of English or have good knowledge of the English language.
- A fresh injection of German culture into the school, with the possibility of special sessions for pupils
- Joint thematic learning: both sides are able to benefit from discussing educational and curricular themes together and gain a new perspective
- The visit helps to broaden horizons, break down any existing prejudices, and increase pupils' intercultural awareness and understanding
- Linguistic teaching support: pupils and teachers are able to practise their German speaking and gain confidence in conversing in the language
- Discussion and reflection: teachers gain new insight into the German education system, discuss educational issues and are able to reflect on current practice
- A chance to discuss and develop a potential partnership for future project activities
UK schools can either be matched with a German teacher on the basis of a host offer form (application form) or host a teacher who is known to them, e.g. from a partner school. Please see the information sheet (see Files to download) for further details.
When does the visit take place?
Second round: Visits take place for either two or three weeks between mid-January and July 2017, and schools can indicate their preferred dates on their hosting form, as well as any dates which are unsuitable. The exact times should be agreed between you and your German visitor.
Vetting and support
All visiting teachers are fully-qualified and vetted under the German system and more information will be provided to all participating schools. We will also provide you with practical tips and support about how to get the most out of the visit for both sides.
Visiting teachers either stay in host families (if your school is in a position to offer this), or in a local hotel. The visiting teacher pays the host family £100 per week for board and lodging. For more information, please refer to the information sheet.
Before submitting a hosting form, please read through the information sheet.
Schools wishing to be matched with a German teacher should fill in and submit the online hosting form and send the confirmation form to UK-German Connection by post. Once the complete hosting form has been received, the matching process will begin.
For schools wishing to host a teacher known to them, the German teacher should apply to PAD: www.kmk-pad.org. The application to PAD should include a statement or correspondence from the UK school confirming that you know them and the proposed visit has been agreed. You will then be contacted on the basis of their application and asked to confirm the hosting arrangement.
On the basis of the hosting form, you will be matched with a teacher from Germany, taking into account your school's context and profile as far as possible. However, an exact match in terms of school type and subjects is not always possible.
If you have any questions, or would like further information on the programme, please contact our Host a Teacher programme manager.