UK-German FLA/ELA Ambassadors
Do you want to inspire your pupils by providing authentic contact to young people in the other country, whilst also improving your own intercultural skills? Then apply for the FLA/ELA Ambassadors Network 2017-18.
Important: In order to apply, please firstly read the information on this page very carefully, have a look at previous projects (see navigation on the left) to get a feel for the programme and check with your mentor teacher and your school if they support your application.
The application process for the FLA/ELA Ambassadors network 2017-18 is now open!
General information about the programme
The FLA/ELA Ambassadors are a bilateral network of language assistants who are working in schools in the UK and Germany. They run small joint projects, activities, events or clubs in order to inspire and motivate young people in their schools for the language and culture of the other country, to enable young people to have direct, meaningful contact with young people in the other country and to make lessons come to life through active involvement in joint projects with their peers.
FLA/ELA Ambassadors run at least one project within their school or in conjunction with other schools in the area. Projects need to be bilateral, run either with a partner Ambassador from the other country, or with an existing partner school, and address themes that are of educational value as well as interesting and relevant for the target group (see project themes below).
Project themes for 2017-18
All projects should relate to one of our themes, mentioned below:
- Identity and integration in multicultural societies
- Language-learning and intercultural skills post EU-referendum
- European Year of Cultural Heritage
Examples and guidance will be provided but FLA/ELA Ambassadors are also encouraged to develop their own ideas and activities within these topics.
Seminars and costs
UK-German Connection offers two seminars and ongoing support for the projects. All members of the network must be able to attend both seminars. The first, introductory seminar will take place in London in late November (2017 dates: either 17–19 oder 24–26 November, tbc) and provide a platform for network members to meet and plan projects together. A second seminar will take place at the end of April or beginning of May 2018, to share experiences, present projects and evaluate the programme.
UK-German Connection covers all the costs for both seminars, including travel, accommodation and subsistence, and also provides a small project fund for activities. Participants pay a small contribution of £25/€30 ahead of the first seminar.
Skills and benefits
What skills and competencies are expected?
FLA and ELA Ambassadors should be/have:
- enthusiastic about enhancing UK-German youth relations.
- interested in developing and running projects within their school.
- able to work on their own initiative as well as within a network.
- committed, reliable, open and flexible.
- good organisational skills.
- good communication skills and intercultural awareness.
What are the benefits to the assistant?
- You will be able to enhance your role and wider impact within your school.
- You will improve on skills such as project management, time management, organisational and negotiation skills as well as strengthen your intercultural competence and communication skills.
- You will become a member of a dynamic network of like-minded people
- You can pass on your enthusiasm for language and cultural learning to the pupils at your school.
What are the benefits to the school of having an FLA or ELA Ambassador?
- Projects can support the curriculum and increase engagement and motivation among pupils for the culture and language of the other country.
- Pupils are able to make long-term contact with young people from the other country, which can support their language skills and intercultural learning.
- The school is able to increase the impact of their assistant across the school.
Who can apply?
You can apply if you
• are currently employed as an English Language Assistant from the UK in Germany for the school year 2017-18 (German Language Assistants in the UK, please see details and application form here)
• have the time, interest and commitment to run bilateral activities for your pupils, be an active member of this network and attend both seminars
• have the support from your school (mentor teacher, MFL department and headteacher) to take part in the programme and attend both seminars (see below regarding support email).
English Language Assistants who are at their schools in Germany only until February are eligible to apply for this programme but should be able to attend the evaluation seminar. ELA Ambassadors, who leave their posts earlier, should also have a teacher at their school who is willing to carry on the projects and contacts they have established for the rest of the school year.
How to apply
• Fill in our online application form outlining your motivation and experience (please take note of the guidelines and terms & conditions)
• Download a copy of your application form for your own reference
• Please ask your mentor teacher to send a short email to email@example.com to confirm that they are aware of and support your application. The email should include a brief outline of how your activities will be embedded in school, and how the school will make use of and support your activities as an ELA Ambassador to advance your pupils' learning.
The application deadline for 2017-18 is 13 October 2017.
Applications will be assessed after the deadline, and we will contact you by the end of October to notify you of the outcome of your application.
If you have any questions, or would like further information on the programme, please contact us.
"This role provided me with a real purpose in my German school. Staff and pupils got to know me quicker, too!" (Former ELA Ambassador)
"Es hat meine Zeit als FLA so viel interessanter, vielfältiger, lustiger und hilfreicher – einfach so viel besser – gemacht!"
(Former FLA Ambassador)