The UK-German Bears project
With a set of resources, a range of interactive online features and a focus on joint Bears activities with a project partner school in Germany, Alex and Ben bring a fun and accessible international dimension to the primary school classroom!
There is one more available hosting date for 2016-17:
12 June - 29 June 2017
NB. These are provisional dates and may be subject to change
What is the UK-German Bears project?
The Bears is a free three-week bilateral programme, which puts pupils not only in touch with Alex, the teddy bear from Germany, but also with a German school class. The German class hosts Ben, the British teddy bear, at the same time as the UK school hosts Alex, making this a fun, interactive way for primary children to learn about each other’s language and culture! The bears come with a wide range of downloadable resources with ideas for short-term bilateral activities, which tie in with primary curriculum topics wherever possible.
British and German schools link up on this programme in short-term, project-specific partnerships to share information about the bears' 'activities' and to learn a bit about the other school. If both schools wish to continue their link after the bears' visit, this is of course possible (and we would be happy to support you in this). However, a new link will initially be set up for the duration of the Bears project only.
The UK-German Bears Project involves the following features:
- There are two real, furry teddy bears, Alex from Germany and Ben from the UK.
- Alex travels to schools in the UK, Ben to their respective project partner schools in Germany.
- Each bear is accompanied by a wide range of colourful, downloadable resources, including flashcards, worksheets and detailed lesson ideas. These are linked, where possible, with curriculum topics and tie in closely with the KS2 Framework for Languages.
- Each participating teacher receives access to a special online Bears area, with songs, interactive games and quizzes. In addition, pupils can record Alex's adventures in the Bears blog and online photo album.
- The bears normally stay for a period of three weeks.
If you don't have a partner school for the project, don't worry! We can help you find a partner, also on a short-term project basis.
Please note: The Bears project is open to schools in the UK and Germany only.
If you are interested in hosting the Bears, or would simply like to find out more, please contact us by using the Bears project sign-up form.