Cultural Exchange Ambassadors
Leading bicultural projects, and creating connections between UK & German schools
Are you an English Language Assistant based in a school in Germany? Do you want to enhance your Language Assistantship and gain valuable project management skills? Are you interested in meeting German assistants in UK schools and creating a cultural connection between your two schools?
Please note: the application process is currently closed.
General information about the programme
Cultural Exchange Ambassadors are English & German Language Assistants working in the other country. The programme provides them with the opportunity to meet each other, partner up and run bilateral projects together.
With the current challenges facing German language learning in the UK, it's more important than ever to bring language lessons to life and provide students with the opportunity to connect meaningfully with their peers in the other country, whilst discovering a new culture!
What do Cultural Exchange Ambassadors do?
- run small joint projects, activities, events or clubs in order to inspire and motivate young people in their schools for the language and culture of the other country
- enable young people to have direct, meaningful contact with young people in the other country and make lessons come to life through active involvement in joint projects with their peers
- run at least one project within their school or in conjunction with other schools in the area
What is a project?
- Bilateral – projects should be run with a partner Ambassador from the other country, or with an existing partner school
- Address themes that are of educational value, as well as interesting and relevant for pupils
- Can be as long or as short as you like! You could run a project for the whole course of your assistantship, or just for a day (e.g. a project day!)
When & where do you meet the other Ambassadors?
Seminars & costs
UK-German Connection offers two seminars and ongoing support for your project throughout your assistantship. All Ambassadors must be able to attend both seminars.
The first, introductory seminar will take place in London from 23 to 25 November 2018 and provide a platform for network members to meet and plan projects together. A second seminar will take place at the end of April or beginning of May 2019, to share experiences, present projects and evaluate the programme.
UK-German Connection covers all the costs for both seminars, including travel, accommodation and subsistence, and also provides a small project fund for activities. Participants pay a small contribution of £25 / €30 ahead of the first seminar.
If you have any questions, or would like further information about the programme, please contact us:
Tel: +44 (0)20 7824 1570 / +44 (0)20 3290 2332
"I think the project is a great opportunity and experience for the children to communicate and use the language in authentic situations! They can realize the purpose of learning English!" (English Teacher, Berlin)
"Es hat meine Zeit als FSA so viel interessanter, vielfältiger, lustiger und hilfreicher – einfach so viel besser – gemacht!"
(Former German Ambassador)