German Teacher Award
Showing opportunities tagged with Business
Do you know a dedicated teacher of German in the UK who deserves recognition?
The nomination process for the German Teacher Award 2019 is now open! Applications must be received by Friday, 10 May 2019.
The German Teacher Award is awarded by the German Embassy. It is presented every year to excellent teachers of German who have made an outstanding and dedicated contribution to German teaching at their school, for example through:
- a record of successful teaching at a school, including innovative language teaching
- successful introduction of German teaching at a school
- established and successful link activities with Germany, e.g. projects and exchanges, bilingual projects, curriculum projects
- use of German language in subjects other than German
- local or regional outreach activities
Please note that headteachers must nominate the German teacher; unfortunately applications by German teachers submitted by themselves and applications submitted by pupils cannot be accepted.
Information about the nomination process is available on the German Embassy website:
The 2019 winners will be announced and prizes presented at a special ceremony at the 'Sommerfest der Deutschen Sprache' in early summer 2019.
The 2018 awards
The Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany hosted the German Teacher Award Ceremony and the 'Sommerfest der deutschen Sprache' on Friday 29 June 2018. The best-selling novelist and screen writer, Ian McEwan, gave the keynote speech.
Congratulations to the 2018 winners:
- Olivia Moore (Methodist College, Belfast)
- Thomas Surgeon (Horndean Technology College, Hampshire)
- Colette Culpin (Nine Acres Primary, Isle of Wight)
Karen Boyland (St. Hilda's CE High School, Liverpool) was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award. Recognising an exceptional teacher at the start of their career, the Peter Boaks Award was given to Olesia Tyne (Hipperholme Grammar, Halifax).
UK-German Connection is a partner of this award.