Learn how to make a traditional ring-shaped German cake ...
The Gugelhupf is a traditional German cake.
Kids in Germany often get them as birthday cakes, covered in chocolate or icing or Smarties. They are not difficult to make - but get an adult to help you! To make one of these cakes, you will need the following ingredients:
- 375g butter
- 300g sugar
- 1 packet vanilla sugar or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 500g flour
- 1 packet baking powder. (You can also use self-raising flour instead of baking powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
You will also need:
- A large bowl
- A mixer
- A Gugelhupf ring-shaped baking tin (if you don't have one, you can use a normal one)
- Beat the sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy, using a mixer.
- Beat the eggs in, one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla sugar.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and the salt. (If you are using self-raising flour, you won't need baking-powder)
- Spoon in the flour mixture and mix everything until the dough is smooth and elastic. If the dough is too dry, just add a little milk.
- Grease a Gugelhupf baking tin and add in the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes.